Historical Association of South Jefferson

Town of Ellisburg

Belleville, Brewster Settlement, Ellisburg, Giddingsville, Log London, Mannsville, Mathers Mills, Monitor Mills, North and South Landing, Pierrepont Manor, Taylor Settlement, Wardwell Settlement, Woodville.

(from the Jefferson County Business Directory of 1866-67)

Formation and early settlement of the Town of Ellisburg

On September 22, 1788 the Oneida Indians signed a treaty with New York State giving the state land which included the present day Jefferson County. On October 2, 1792 Alexander Macomb, in company with Daniel McCormack and William Constable, bought the territory embraced in what is now St. Lawrence, Jefferson & Lewis Counties and portions of Franklin and Oswego County, for a total of 1,920,000 acres at 8 pence sterling per acre. William Constable's purchase included tract #4 which is now Jefferson County.

On April 11, 1796, Marvel and Lyman Ellis purchased over 51,000 acres of land, that later comprised the Town of Ellisburg, for $98,943.50. They paid $22,111.50 in cash and received a mortgage for the remainder. In the spring of 1797 Lyman Ellis made his way into the town through dense forests. He employed several men to build a shelter and then build a dam across the Sandy Creek and a sawmill. The mill was put into operation in the fall, but was swept away in the spring by a freshet. The mill and dam were rebuilt, but were destroyed again in 1799.

The town of Ellisburg was created from the Town of Mexico on Febrary 22, 1803 and originally included what later became the Town of Henderson. Henderson was set off as a separte town on February 17, 1806. Ellisburg is bounded on the north by Adams and Henderson, on the east of Lorraine, on the south by the Oswego County town of Sandy Creek, and on the west by Lake Ontario.

Due to major financial setbacks from the loss of the dams and mills, plus the death of Marvel Ellis in 1803, the Constable Estate foreclosed on Lyman Ellis in 1804 and he was compelled to give up the land. The Constable Estate paid him for the improvements he had made and released to him certain tracts of land. Lyman Ellis spent the rest of his years helping to build up the Town of Ellisburg. He died March 13, 1847 and is buried at Ellisburg Cemetery. On his monument is the following inscription:

Lyman Ellis died March 13, 1847 at the ripe old age of 87, almost fifty years to a day after he set foot upon this soil. 'Modesty, honesty and charity adorned his walk in life.'

Another tribute to Lyman Ellis reads:

Lyman Ellis Father of This Town, First to till its soil, First to harness its streams, First in civic leadership.

Settlers in 1798:

Lyman & Marvel Ellis sold the following tracts of land in 1798:

Joseph Caldwell, 126 acres

Elijah Pettibone, 100 acres

Asahel Humphrey, 419 acres

Hezekiah Pierce, 149 acres (his son, Ontario Pierce, was the first child born in the town)

Caleb Ellis, 126 acres (his daughter, Mary Ellis, was the first death in the town, she was 2 yrs. old)

John Paddock, 50 acres

Elisha Phillips, 100 acres

Vial Salisbury, 100 acres

Isaac Sutherland, 130 acres

Levi Root, 140 acres.

The 1800 Census shows that the area that later became Ellisburg consisted of about 20 families: Lyman Ellis, Caleb Ellis, Caleb Boomer, Samuel Cole, Elijah Clark, Phineas Davis, John Eaton, Richard Gafford, Reuben Hamilton, Gideon Howard, John Howard, William Joiner, Simeon King, Dyer McCumber, Joshua Linch, George Marsden, Daniel Masters, Luman Pease, Jonathan Parkhurst and Hezekiah Pierce.

By 1810 the town of Ellisburg had: 4 gristmills, 6 sawmills, 6 schoolhouses which also served as churches, 2 fulling mills, 1 trip-hammer, and 1 distillery.

By 1820 there were: 5 gristmills, 14 sawmills, 1 oil mill, 5 fulling mills, 4 carding machines, 3 trip-hammers, 2 distilleries, 13 asheries and 23 school districts.

Known Barber-Weser Cemetery Burials:

located on County Route 87 (the Ellisburg-Sandy Creek Road) just north of the Oswego County line, at edge of field, about 500 feet off the road, not visible from the road.

  • Barber, Isaac - d. 1819 81y6m
  • Barber, Joanna - d. 12/6/1819 33y
  • Weser, Nicholas - d. 1/20/1813 67y
  • Weser, Margaret - d. 9/29/1820, wife of Nicholas

Known Gallea Cemetery Burials:

located on Benton Road, off State Route 3.

  • Bemis, Demis (Spink) - d. 1/13/1872 87y, wife of William Gallea & Benjamin Bemis
  • Bruce, Edwin B. - d. 11/7/1838 15m, s. of Timothy & Hannah Bruce
  • Gallea, Clarissa M. - d. 10/24/1848 23y, da. of William & Demis
  • Gallea, Demis A. - d. 10/27/1848 1y2m
  • Gallea, James - d. 2/21/1855 51y, s. of William & Demis
  • Gallea, Parismus - d. 7/26/1858 38y, s. of William & Demis
  • Gallea, William - d. 10/1/1830 50y, War of 1812 vet.
  • Gifford, Canaan - d. 5/12/1825 39y
  • Gifford, Lucy - d. 11/25/1832 33y, wife of Canaan Gifford

Battle of Big Sandy Creek

Oswego had not been occupied by regular troops since the Revolution, so the guns at the fort were not ready for use. The British planned with great foresight their descent upon Oswego, where all our naval stores had been. They approached the village of Oswego and fired three hours after landing, their men and their guns doing much damage. Colonel Mitchell, who had charge of our stores there, fled to Oswego Falls (now Fulton), taking with him everything possible, destroying the bridges and filling the roads after him with timber. The enemy thought it inexpedient to follow him and returned with their fleet to their station near the Galloup Islands. They hoped thus to blockade the passage of the stores, which it was known must pass them enroute to Sackets Harbor.

These naval stores were also under the charge of Lieutenant Woolsey, son of an officer of the Revolution, who had also won honors in the battle of Sackets Harbor. He was escorted by Major D. Appling, a young Georgian officer, who rendered himself conspicuous for his personal valor.

On the evening of May 28, 1814, Lieutenant Woolsey, Major Appling and the rifle regiment of 150 men left Oswego in 19 boats in the hope of gaining Sandy Creek unmolested from where there would be but three miles of land carriage for the heavy stores to Henderson Harbor, 12 miles from Sackets Harbor.

The evening was dark and rainy. The brigade of boats rowed all night, at dawn Sunday morning, May 29, entering Sandy Creek, with the exception of one boat, which fell into the hands of the enemy. From those on board this boat the British learned the particulars of the expedition, for they had followed and discovered Woolsey's retreat. Upon entering Sandy Creek, Woolsey sent a swift Indian runner to notify Commodore Chauncey at Sackets Harbor of his arrival. Couriers were also dispatched in all directions to rally teams to get the stores removed by land to their destination.

Enter Sandy Creek

The boats entered Sandy Creek and were run up the south branch. On Monday morning a lookout boat discovered the enemy making for the creek and soon transmitted the news to Lieutenant Woolsey, who sent messengers to call in the neighboring militia and made hasty arrangements to meet the enemy.

The Enemy Advances

A squadron of dragoons, a company of light artillery and two six-pounders with the militia of the immediate locality arrived and were placed in position best calculated to assist those who were already there. Late in the forenoon the enemy slowly advanced up the creek and landed on the south side, but finding it impossible to proceed on account of the slippery marsh, they re-embarked and proceeded to within a few rods of the woods. Here they again landed and formed on the north bank.

Men Concealed in Woods

Lieutenant Woolsey had so skillfully placed his men that they were concealed behind bushes, log fences and in the thick woods. The cannon was posted in a position where it could be used with the effect necessary. The boats were in the rear. The enemy advanced to within ten rods of the ambush, where on a signal, the riflemen of Major Appling's command arose from their concealment and fired. Several fell, among them their leader, pierced with eleven balls.

So sudden and effectual was this movement that it threw the enemy into confusion and after a fire of a few minutes, the order was given to charge, upon which the riflemen rushed forward with loud cheers, holding their rifles in the position of charged bayonets. The result was the surrender of the enemy. This was scarcely done, when the Indians, true to their character as savages, came furiously on, yelling and brandishing their weapons. It was with great difficulty that they were prevented from murdering the disarmed prisoners. It is believed that one or two of the British men were scalped.

Their loss was 19 killed, 50 wounded and 133 taken prisoners. A few landed, were pursued,, and not one escaped. Our loss was one Indian killed and one rifleman wounded. The wounded of the enemy were taken to neighboring houses and cared for. The dead were buried and the prisoners were marched to Sackets Harbor.

The roads were new and almost impassable and the labor of removing guns, cable and rigging was one of no ordinary magnitude. A cable and two guns had been lost with the boat that fell in with the enemy. The prizes in the creek were one 24-pounder, a 68-pound cannonade, with several ssmaller cannon, and a considerrable amount of small arms and ammunition.

A Signal Victory

The affair at arms was now over, and though destined to be practically unrecorded, it was one of the most signal victories for American arms during the war, and was, moreover, an engagement in which the British failed absolutely to gain their object, except in the single transport before the battle. Had our forces been larger and had Commodore Chauncey been there, the British fleet would doubtless have been captured.

Carrying the Cables

The ships cables are said to have been six inches in diameter, 600 feet long and weighing about five tons each. All the oxen and teams in our part of the country were used to convey the first with the stores and guns. But how to get the second cable to Sackets Harbor when all the available oxen and teams were already on their way, was a problem.

It was at lasat suggested to bear it upon the shoulders of men, and the proposal was cheerfully adopted by the citizens who came to assist. Marsh grass was plaited into mats for the shoulders of the men, and they were arranged accoording to their stature. At the word of command they shouldered the ponderous cable and took up their line of march for Sackets Harbor, 20 miles distant. They were as near together as they could conveniently walk amd seemed to stretch like a long serpent, bank into the dim greenness of the woods, until they finally laid down their burden, sleeping the night at Ellisburg. The next day the bearers of the strange burden made about eight miles, being fed and lodged most comforably by the residents of the small settlements where they stopped. There were constantly a hundred men at the last, working in relays. New volunteers were arriving all the time, the old ones dropping out, for most could not stand the strain long.

On Saturday the cable was taken through from Smithville, where they spend the second night, to the Harbor. As they approached the town, the sailors came out to meet them, and the crash of bands, the roll of drums and the boom of artillery were most gratifying to the tired men. Massed on either side of the main street of the village were cheering multitudes, for the garrison was emptied of its soldiers and the country side for miles around was there to cheer.

The ship yard was gained and amid a tumult of shouting, the great rope was throown down before the sailors. It was a memorable day. The Superior, which was waiting for this cable, was soon equipped, and with its appearance the British sailed away. During no time of the war was a victory gained at less expense than this.

Some who took part in the battle lived in other sections of the county, but thosse who carried the cable lived in Ellisburg and neighboring communities. Lieutenant Woolsey remained in command at Sackets Harbor after peace was restored, and attained the rank of commodore. (Jefferson County Journal - November 22, 1916)

Belleville was originally called Hall's Mills after pioneer settler Giles Hall. Belleville is located on the north branch of Sandy Creek, three miles from Ellisburg and Woodville. The community began as a farming settlement in 1802/3 by Metcalf Lee, Bradley Freeman, Joshua Freeman, Martin Barney, James McCumber, Benjamin McCumber and Jedediah McCumber. The name was changed to Belleville in 1814/15.

Belleville Cemetery is an early cemetery located in the village of Belleville on the south side of Sandy Creek.

Old Belleville Cemetery is located at the end of Mixer road next to the creek. There are two Revolutionary War veterans buried here: Edward Barney (8/18/1749-8/9/1835) Josiah Littlefield (1766-6/20/1833)

Woodside Cemetery is located on the corner of Mixer Road and Route 289. It has also been known as the Shepardson Buring Ground, Rural Hill Cemetery and Mixer Cemetery. There are four Revolutionary War Veterans buried here: Thomas Clark (1753-5/1/1823) Jedediah Hill (3/29/1761-4/18/1841) Jesse Littlefield (1767-9/10/1832) Silas Stevens (1767-9/10/1832)

Lakeside Cemetery (also known as Reed Cemetery) is located on NYS Route 3, NW of Woodside Cemetery. There are two Revolutionary War veterans buried here: Rufus Richardson (1759-9/16/1841) Clement Tubbs (1764-2/21/1847)

  • Academy - Union Academy
  • Blacksmith - Chapman & Hall (Julius Chapman & Abram Hall)
  • Boot & Shoe Shops - Edward Boomer, Charles L. Holmes, Henry Holmes, J.F. McIntosh
  • Brass Band - LaRue Hawes, leader
  • Butchers - Charles H. Freeman
  • Butter & Produce - James H. Searles
  • Carpenters - Stephen Cornish, Jesse Littlefield
  • Carriagemakers - Elisha T. Littlefield, Ephraim S. Lamb
  • Chairmaker - John H. Carpenter
  • Cloth Dressing - Thomas Waite
  • Clergymen - George W. Divol (Baptist), Byron Alden (Meth)
  • Constable - Horace H. Harris
  • Cooper - George Johnson, James Williams
  • Dentist - Edward J. Richards
  • Dressmakers - Jennette Boomer, Jennie Freeman
  • Druggist - Hiram G. Walrath
  • Furniture Dealers - Jonathan Carpenter, Harvey Stacy
  • General Merchants - Chapman & Reed (Daniel H. Cahpman & George P. Reed), James E. Green, Nahum Houghton, Edwards, Johnson & Kilby (Fred Edwards, Alba Johnson, & Alanson Kilby)
  • Gristmills - Malcolm G. Cook, Erastus Hall
  • Groceries - George Gleason, Henry W. Wilcox
  • Harnessmaker - Willard Salisbury
  • Hotel - Belleville Hotel (Alexander D. Williams)
  • Insurance Agents - Russell B. Richards, Charles F. Jennings
  • Jewelry & Watches - Bradley B. Barney
  • Justice of the Peace - Bradford K. Hawes
  • Lawyers - Mills A. Hackley, Edward B. Hawes
  • Livery Stables - Alexander D. Williams, William McCollum, George C. Bullard
  • Millinery - Mrs. Hiram Walrath, Mrs. Charles Freeman
  • Odd Fellows - Collins Lodge No. 421
  • Photographer - Frank Allen
  • Physicians - N. Wotkyns Buel, J.A. Rega
  • Postmaster - Nahum C. Houghton
  • Sawmills - Harvey C. Stacy
  • Stage Proprietor - George C. Bullard
  • Telegraph Operator - Edwin H. Hiller
  • Tinsmith - Charles D. Houghton
  • Tax Collector - Willard L. Cook

Ellis village is the oldest village in the town of Ellisburg and is located on the south branch of Big Sandy Creek. It is located three miles from Belleville and Pierrepont Manor. The first settler was Lyman Ellis in 1797.

Ten Revolutionary War Veterans are buried at Ellisburg Cemetery:

Isaac Burr (1760-4/27/1827)

Joel Doolittle (1760-6/29/1813)

Bryant Eddy (1760-12/11/1843)

Caleb Ellis (8/13/1754-4/14/1847)

Lyman Ellis (11/1759-3/13/1847)

Samuel Haven (1/4/1762-1840)

Nathan Holley (8/16/1758-9/4/1833)

John Hollister (1740-8/3/1827)

James Lewis (1754-1/18/1823)

Simeon Russell (1752-7/21/1844)

Caleb Sturdevant (1759-10/17/1831)

Solomon Tracy (10/7/1858-1/21/1849)

Saxe Cemetery is located just north of the village.

There are 3 Revolutionary War Veterans buried here:

James Gault (1756-8/10/1842)

Stephen Hicks (1/26/1755-2/19/1833)

Joseph Martin (10/25/1740-9/22/1827)

(from the Jefferson County Business Directory for 1866-67)

  • Agricultural Implements - Alva J. Smith, George S. Hudson, E.H. Hudson
  • Blacksmiths - Freeman Richardson, Levi Hyde & Henry Cronkite, Frances Ramsdell
  • Boat Builders - William & Peter Gilbert
  • Boot & Shoe Shops - David Armstrong, Jedediah Bonney
  • Butchers - Isaac W. Decker
  • Carpenters - Daniel Rury, Eli Nash, Charles Hill, Othneil Williams, Jeremiah Lewis
  • Carriagemakers - A.B. McDonald
  • Cheese Factories - Milvern Stearns, James Rogers
  • Clergyman - Elisha Wheeler, MY
  • Coal Dealer - Joseph Ward
  • Constable - John Rury
  • Cooper - John Rury
  • Customs Collector - Frank M. Noble
  • Dressmaker - Emma Stearns
  • General Merchants - Hall & Searles (Alsom Hall & Wm. A. Searles), Frank E. Metcalf, Hopkinson & Waite (George M. Hopkinson & F. Austin Waite)
  • Gristmills - George W. & Henry D. Millard, Reuben Salisbury
  • Gunsmith - Lyman Chamberlain
  • Harnessmaker - William Albro, Albert A. Ackley
  • Hotel - Empire House (Russell Wood)
  • Insurance Agent - Horace M. Wilds
  • Iron Foundry - Loren D. Palmer & Ithamer Beebe
  • Justice of the Peace - Horace M. Wilds
  • Lumber Dealers - B.F. & H.M. Wilds
  • Livery Stables - Russell Wood, Henry Pool
  • Masons - Samuel Cole, Levi Goodenough
  • Millinery - Mrs. David Armstrong, Emily A. Bullock
  • Physician - A.S. Thompson
  • Planing Mill - George S. Hudson
  • Plaster MIll - B.F. & H.M. Wilds
  • Produce Dealer - Horace M. Wilds
  • Postmaster - Frank E. Metcalf
  • Saloon - Charles M. Snow
  • Sawmills - B.F. & H.M. Wilds
  • Tailors - Edward Tomkins, Theron Holley
  • Tinsmith - Philip & Alfred Millard
  • Undertaker - George S. Hudson
  • Woolen Mill - Benjamin F. & Horace M. Wilds

Mannsville is an incorporated village in the southeast part of the town of Ellisburg, two miles south of Pierrepont Manor and four miles southeast of Ellisburg. Located on Skinner Creek, Mannsville was orginally called Little Sandy. The present name was adopted in 1825 in honor of H. Barzillian Mann.

The first settler was David I. Andrus, who came here in 1811 where he built a sawmill on the banks of Skinner Creek. In 1823 Mannsville had a tavern, a school, a sawmill and three homes. In community grew slow until the Railroad came through in 1851. In 1855 Mannsville had five stores, one hotel, two harness shops, four blacksmiths, two carriage shops, two tinsmiths, one tannery, three churches, a school and about 50 homes.

Jefferson County Journal, Thursday 1/16/1872 -

During the terrible blow of last thursday (1/9) night the inhabitants of Mannsville were startled from their beds about half past eleven o'clock by the cry of fire. the stoutest heart trembled when the source of the alarm was discovered. The large Tannery of Baldwin & Douglas, one of the finest built tannery buildings in this part of the state, was on fire and the gale from the south threatened destruction to the entire business part of the village, carrying cinders and burning brands in every direction. Almost every able bodied man in the village was soon on the spot and from several miles around farmers hurried in to help fight the flames.

The fire originated in the southern end of the building and but a few minutes sufficed to spread it over the entire structure. With difficulty the books and valuable papers in the office in the north end of the building were saved. A few courageous men ventured into the burning building and secured the most valuable things in the office, not, however, without running serious risk. Two were so nearly suffocated by the smoke and flames that they had to be carried to a neighboring house and resuscitated, one of them bleeding at the lungs for some time. Had those who ventured into the smoke, taken the precaution of tying a wet handkerchief over their face, the smoke would not have troubled them in the least. One man was also badly burned about the face.

The men formed two double lines on opposite sodes of the burning building and passed up pails of water to the leaders, who stood close up to the burning building and with clothes scorched and faces and hands fairly blistered by the intense heat, and eyes nearly blinded by the smoke, dashed the contents of their pails on the blazing mass. Though the proximity of the creek afforded an inexhaustable supply of water, it was found impossible to keep the flames from the piles of tan bark adjoining the mill.

And now the rage of the flames was terrific. They leaped high into the air, lighting up the clouds with a glare that could be seen for miles around, the inhabitants of Sandy Creek, five miles distant, siupposing from the light that a building in their own vicinity was burning, and giving the alarm accordingly. The wind carried the burning brands onto the buildings near by. The grist mill, the carriage and blacksmith shops and Mr. Finster's house were repeatedly on fire and as often the flames were extinguished by the men, who, stationed on the roofs, drenched them with water or tore off the burning shingles with their hands. Carpets were wet and hung yo to keep off the heat and every effort made to prevent the further spread of the conflagration.

The flames aided by the fearful wind seemed almost resistless, while above their roar was heard the shrill whiz of steam as it escaped from the heated broiler in the burning building. the safety valve fortunately gave vent to the steam as fast as it was generated and though the singing of the escaping steam was an unpleasant and uninviting sound, it resulted in no explosion.

Men fought the fires with the energy of despair. their homes and their village depended on their stopping the flames just where they were. Standing on the burning bark iled they faced the flames and emptied their pails even when the fire was under their feet. Water had to be dashed on them every now and then to keep their clothes from burning. Sometimes the flames would eat under the feet of the men on the bark piles and they would sink into the embers to their knees. Clothes were almost burned off some; others had narrow escapes from terrible deaths. A gust of wind swept a mass of flames against one and hurled him backward between the piles of blazing bark. For a moment he was given up for lost, burt gaining his feet he ran, fortunately in the right direction, escaping as by a miracle, with hair crisped and singed y the furnace heat through which he passed.

There were numerous similar narrow escapes. Every man was a hero, and for hours fought the flames without relief. The ladies also were not idle, but made coffee and tea and brought it to the men, and aided in various ways in extinguishing the fire. the furniture was torn out of the neighboring houses and carried into the streets, only, in many instances, to be ruined by the burning cinders that fell upon it. Had not the wind fortunately changed the adjoining buildings must have been burned. When the fire broke out the wind was nearly in the south, blowing directly towards the houses of Messrs. finster and Hinman and the business blocks of the village. But the wind gradually veered around to the west, so that when the bark piles, in close proximity to Mr. Finster's house, were sending up their fierce heat the flames and cinders were carried across the road and way from the remaining pile of bark. A pile of green wood was just to the windward of the burning bark, separating it from the remaining piles of bark which, if set on fire, would inevitably ignite several houses and buildings adjoining. Behind this pile of wood a stand was made against the fire. though the blazing pile not ten feet off sent forth a furnace heat, men stood behind that pile of wood dashing water over it, keeping wet carpets on the bark and successfully keeping the flames at bay, though not without severe burns. Had the wind been in the west at first the grist mill would have been burned, and had it remained in the south, where it was at the breaking out of the flames, the business part of the village would probably have been destroyed.

Morning came, and the fire was still burning so fiercely in the piles of bark that help was sent for, and the morning train south brought the fire company from Adams with their engine and hose. The aid was timely, though the force of the fire was spent, and the steam force pump in finster & Woodard's mill now rendered good service, throwing water through the hose successfully and rapidly. It is to be regretted that the village had not, previous to the fire, purchased a hose to attach to the steam pump, as from that water could be thrown to any part of the village.

The fire company were provided with dinner at the hotel, and returned to Adams on the three o'clock train, leaving the fire about subdued. At evening the flames broke out anew in the bark piles and the wind being in the south, fears were entertained for the safety of the village. The hose was again sent for and several of the company returned, but not until 8 o'clock Saturday morning were the flames entirely extinguished. the people of Mannsville feel themselves under very great obligations to the adams boys for their noble work. Much sympathy is expressed for Messrs Baldwin and Douglas upon whom the loss falls heavily. The inhabitants of Mannsville and vicinity deserve unbounded praise for their bravery and success in fighting the fire and probably no village in this vicinity could have fought the fire more successfully and resolutely. The loss on the property is estimated at about $20,000., the Insurance was about $10,000.

As yet it is not known how the building got on fire, but it is the mind of the people that it ws the work of an incendiary. Mr. Douglas the partner of Mr. Baldwin was telegraphed to at New York City and was on the spot as soon as possible. We are glad to know that the building is to be rebuilt immediately. the work is already commenced. A temporary building has been put up for the purpose of tanning the hides that were in the vats.

Maplewood Cemetery, Mannsville

John Marsh (1758 - 12/25/1839)

Abizer Phillips, Jr. (3/10/1750 - 3/13/1846)

Ephraim Potter (12/3/1764 - 3/19/1843)

Nicholas Powers (1756 - 3/30/1840)

Brewster Settlement Cemetery

Timothy Brewster (4/12/1759 - 6/28/1849)

Jonathan Fish (9/12/1757 - 6/29/1841)

Jeremiah Mason (2/7/1757 - 4/9/1848)

  • Billard Room - Cyrus Gardner
  • Blacksmiths - William H. Cook, Levi Johnson, Zara VanWormer
  • Book Store - David Wheeler
  • Boot & Shoe Shops - William Baldwin, Jonathan Jackson, David D. Kromer
  • Brass Band - Mannsville Saxhorn Band, Willbur Williams, leader
  • Butchers - Theodore D. Jacobs, Gardner Millard
  • Butter & Produce - Melvin J. Earl, Allen M. Wardwell
  • Cartman - Thomas R. Wells
  • Carpenters - Jonathan D. Finster, Francis L. Williams, James Wheeler
  • Carriagemakers - Lucas & Dumon (George R. Lucas & Benjamin A. Dumon), Willard Vernum
  • Cheese Factory - Shepard & Grenell (Thomas A. Shepard & Ezra O. Grenell)
  • Clergymen - Rev. E.G. Blunt (Baptist), Rev. Ward W. Hunt (Meth.), Rev. Charles Jones (Cong.)
  • Clothing Store - Jonathan W. Merrill
  • Constable - Luke Wells
  • Cooper - Edwin A. Kirkland
  • Dentist - Fayette Maynard
  • Dressmakers - Cordelia Church, Elizabeth Williams
  • Druggist - Asher M. Gurley
  • Express Agent - Allen M. Wardwell
  • Furniture Dealer - Edwin Lester
  • General Merchants - Melvin J. Earl, P.P. Martin & (Philip & Leonard Martin), Henry W. Shepard
  • Gristmill - Howe & Brown (Elias B. Howe & Joseph E. Brown)
  • Hardware Store - John Hughs Jr.
  • Harnessmaker - Kincade A. Huson
  • Hotel - Jefferson Hotel, Eli C. James
  • Insurance Agents - Fayette Maynard, Reuben R. Tousley
  • Jewelry & Watches - Henry Taylor, Jonathan E. Wheeler
  • Justice of the Peace - Augustus L. Baker
  • Lawyers - Reuben R. Tousley, Andrew A. Wheeler
  • Livery Stable - Eli C. James
  • Masons - Henry Eely, Edwin Hull
  • Millinery - Martha Earl, Elizabeth Williams, Mrs. Henry Woodward
  • Millwright - Samuel Nichols
  • Odd Fellows - Mannsville Lodge No. 469
  • Photographer - A.E. Baron
  • Physicians - Oliver H. Blandin, Roswell Kinney, Jonathan N. Lyman
  • Postmaster - Leonard A. Martin
  • Railroad Agent - Allen M. Wardwell
  • Sawmills - Jonathan D Finster
  • Select School - L.B. Woodward
  • Sewing Machines - Samuel C. Stearns
  • Surveyor - Augustus L. Baker
  • Tannery - William Baldwin
  • Telegraph Operator - Jonathan J. Hinman
  • Tinsmith - Jonathan Hughs, Jr.
  • Undertaker - Edwin Lester
  • Variety Store - Sabin Baker

Pierrepont Manor, originally called Bear Creek, is a hamlet located in the eastern part of the town of Ellisburg on Bear Creek, a short distance north of Mannsville and three miles east of Ellisburg. The present name was adopted in 1843 in honor of land agent William C. Pierrepont.

The first settlers came in March 1805. They were Joseph Allen, Pardon Earl and Arnold Earl. They came from Galway, NY by way of Redfield and Adams and then worked their way through the dense forest to Bear Creek. Joseph Allen had purchased 240 acres at $3. per acre in the fall of 1804. They were soon followed by William Case, William Tabor and William Lewis.

Pierrepont Manor Cemetery

Joseph Allen (11/14/1756 - 9/23/18380

Lemuel Tabor (dates unknown)

Caleb Tifft (5/10/1760 - 5/2/1843)

Thomas Worden (6/26/1759 - 11/5/1854)

Wardwell Settlement Cemetery

David I. Andrus (1766 - 8/21/1831)

John DeCastorer (1748 - 1835)

Samuel Eaton (8/28/1755 - 7/19/1838)

David Holley (1/17/1751 - 5/14/1835)

  • Ax-Helve Manufacturer - A. Gurley
  • Blacksmith - Elihu Allen, Lorenzo D. James
  • Boot & Shoe Shops - Thomas Neville, David Sturtevant, William Brownlow
  • Butcher - Preston L. Williams
  • Butter & Produce - O.D. Allen, Caleb Bailey, O.S. Potter, J. Bateman, Numan T. Holley, Arnold G. Earl, J.E. Allen
  • Cooper - Henry Bailey
  • Clergyman - Rev. W.H. Lord, Epis'l
  • Constable - George N. Potter
  • Dressmakers - Elizabeth Williams, Electa Williams, Ellen W. Pease
  • Express Agent - Henry A. Hatch
  • Furniture Dealer - Henry D. Winne
  • General Merchant - Charles F. Calkins
  • Groceries - Harvey Allen
  • Harnessmaker - Orestes Woodard
  • Hotel - Pierrepont Manor Hotel, W.J. Hancock
  • Justice of the Peace - John Allen
  • Livery - W.J. Hancock
  • Livestock Dealer - N.T. Holley, John F. Robinson, J.B. Allen, A.G. Earl, O.D. Allen, C. Bailey
  • Millinery - Elizabeth Williams
  • Physicians - D.D. Joslin, R. Dixie
  • Postmaster - Harvey Allen
  • Railroad - William C. Pierrepont, President, R.W. & O Railroad Agent - Henry A. Hatch
  • Sawmill - David Fuller
  • Telegraph Operator - Henry A. Hatch

On May 29, 1851 the Rome and Watertown Railroad was officially opened with the initial run from Rome to Pierrepont Manor, a distance of 53 miles. The road was commenced in 1849, the Hon. Orville Hungerford of Watertown, President. Upon his decease the Hon. William C. Pierrepont was elected president. The Railroad Superintendent was Robert B. Doxtater of Adams. Under their guidance the road had steadily and vigorously continued to advance to completion.

From Rome to the extreme terminus of the road, Cape Vincent, is 96 miles, running through a thickly settled country, which was quite productive, and embracing a population of some 120,000. From Rome to Pierrepont Manor, the present terminus, is 53 miles. The road ran 26 1/2 miles through Oneida County, 22 through the eastern part of Oswego County, and about 5 or 6 into Jefferson County. The continuation carried it about 43 miles, and formed a connnecting link between the great commercial emproium of New York State, and the dominions of the Queen, thus bringing the 700,000 inhabitants of Canada West, into the desirable business and social connection with the states.

The intention of the directors was that about the time the road was completed to Watertown, which was near the end of August, the further portion to Cape Vincent would also be finished. To promote the completion at the Cape Vincent end, 3000 tons of iron were delivered at Quebec, Chaumont Bay and Sacket's Harbor at $40. per ton.

The present Board of Directors are:

William C. Pierrepont of Pierrepont Manor, President

Clark Rice, Norris Woodruff, S. Buckley, O.V. Brainard, Daniel Lee, Watertown

William Lord, Brownville

Robert B. Doxtater, Calvert Comstock, Rome

John C. Cooper, Adams

Horace Dunbar, Camden

S. Bartlett, Cape Vincent

B.R. Wood, Albany

Calvert Comstock, Esq., of Rome, in behalf of the Board of Directors and by request, made the following statements and remarks in relation to the condition and prosperity of the road: In behalf of the Company, in relation to whose operations you desire to hear. I thank you and our friends assembled for the complimentary appreciation you manifest, of the importance of the enterprise. After a long struggle in endeavoring to construct a highway through a section of the country not well known, after arduous labors in projecting, defending and carrying forward an enterprise so extensive, it is gratifying, as the termination approaches, to be cheered by the approbation of so intelligent a representation as I see before me. I do not speak of myself, a later laborer in the field. There are those, and there are those present, who, through many years, with an intelligence, an enterprise, and a zeal in advance of their contemporaries, pushed forward this work, and today, as we are triumphantly entering on the realization of our ardent expectations and hopes, as the predictions of past years are about to be verified, shall we not express a wish that it had suited the designs of Divine Providence to spare a little longer the leader in this noble enterprise? How would he have rejoiced as he mingled with you in these grounds? How would he have congratulated his fellow citizens on the fruits of his labors? But like Moses, he was not permitted to reap the reward, almost within his grasp. Like Clinton, as the father of a great and valuable public improvement, he has erected a monument to the name and fame of Orville Hungerford that will last long after he has passed away.

You, with us, miss on this occasion the face of another tried friend of enterprise, one generous in impulse, steadfast in purpose and abiding in friendship, and unite with us in deploring the loss of Col. Kirby. His friends here will mingle their tears for his death with those of his friends in the State, and I may add, in the Nation at large.

Mr. Chairman, I may say with certainty of being believed, that this road will occupy an important position among the enterprises of the present day.

It forms a connection between the Erie Canal and the line of the Central Railroad, thro' Oneida, the eastern part of Oswego, and the heart of Jefferson Counties, and the waters of the St. Lawrence and the lakes. It opens to a direct and valuable market the secluded lumber regions of Oneida and Jefferson. It forms the great and only thoroughfare for the travel and freight of Jefferson County, with its magnificent water power, its population of 80,000, and its numerous and flourishing villages. At all times, and especially in the winter, when the St. Lawrence is closed with its locks of ice, it will form an important link between Canada and the Commercial Emporium.

As you are aware, the road is now completed to this point, 53 miles - it two months more we shall reach Watertown, and in the course of the ensuing autumn our locomotives will reach the banks of the St. Lawrence and exchange salutations with the steamers on that noble river. May you and I be there to witness that wished for consummation.

I am authorized to say on the part of the Directors, that the entire cost of the road, 97 miles, with full equipments, will not exceed one and a half million - if anything, it will fall somewhat short of this amount.

There are one or two other considerations to which I will allude here. From this station, it is proposed by the enterprising citizens of Sackets Harbor, to construct a branch road connecting us with that importnat port, a distance of 17 miles, thus connecting Lake Ontario by the shortest route, and at the point of its best harbor with the eastern cities. Measures are also being taken to construct another from Richland or Williamstown to Oswego, forming there, too, a shorter railroad connection with the lake than now exists. Thus the northern termini of the road will rest like a tripod on the St. Lawrence and the Lakes.

I can say with sincerity, that the business and receipts of the road, as yet only in partial operation, terminating in the woods, exceed the anticipation of its warmest and most sanguine friends. Who that is familiar with the enterprise, wealth, rapid increase and other elements which support the commerce of Canada and the St. Lawrence, but can see that the time is not far distant when this road shall be first in importance and first in profit.

Woodville is a small hamlet on the north branch of Sandy Creek, three miles from its mouth and two and a half miles west of the village of Ellisburg. It was originally named Woods Settlement.

Woodville was settled by Ebenezer, Ephraim and Jacob Wood, sons of Nathaniel Wood. They came to the area in the fall of 1803 to look over the land. They came by way of the old Redfield road to Lorraine and then Adams. The rest of the way they cut their own road. Ebenezer and Ephraim Wood purchased a tract of 754 acres on May 26, 1804 for $3. per acre. Ephraim Wood, with a daughter and three sons, settled on the land while Ebenezer Wood remained in Vermont to settle the estate there. Ebenezer and his father, Rev. Nathaniel Wood, came to settle here in June 1804.

Woodville Cemetery:

Ephraim Doane (1754 - 8/29/1828)

Abel Potter (3/10/1760 - 3/13/1846)

Paul Stickney (1763 - 5/6/1843)

Jacob Wood (3/2/1749 - 1838)

  • Blacksmith - William Gray, Jr., John Comins
  • Boot & Shoe Shop - Don C. Bishop, John Sargent, Edwin Bishop
  • Butcher - Merritt F. Wood
  • Carpenters - Matthew Hartrick, Amos Fairchilds
  • Carriagemaker - Benjamin Squires
  • Cheesebox Maker - Josiah W. Chapin
  • Cheese Factory - Nathan Forman, Horace Wood, George Hemenway, William H. Eastman
  • Clergyman - Rev. A. Parmlee, Cong'l
  • Coal Dealers - William A. Jenkins
  • Dressmaker - Miss L. Ruyn
  • General Merchant - Clark & Wood (John B. Clark & Nathaniel Wood)
  • Gristmill - John B. Clark, Gilderoy Littlefield
  • Hotel - Fernando C. Smith
  • Justice of the Peace - William White
  • Masons - James Jones, James Webb
  • Millwright - O.B. Scott
  • Paper Manufacturer - Clark & Wood
  • Physician - Oliver Viets
  • Postmaster - Marcellus Gray
  • Produce Dealer - Merritt F. Wood
  • Saloon - James Webb
  • Sawmill - Goerge Wood, Josiah W. Chapin
  • Supervisor - John B. Clark