Historical Association of South Jefferson

Town of Adams

Adams, Adams Center, Cobbville, Green Settlement, Honeyville, Lisk Settlement, Lyons Corners, North Adams, Talcotts Falls, Thomas Settlement, Wright Settlement. Smithville lies half in the town of Adams and half in the town of Henderson.

The town of Adams is one of the towns south of the Black River formerly known as the Black River Tract, and was originally known as Aleppo. Benjamin Wright surveyed the boundaries of the town in 1796. Adams was divided into 56 great lots varying from 240 to 676 acres, for a total 26,505 acres. It measures six miles east to west and nearly seven miles north to south and the north branch of Sandy Creek passes through the town.

The town of Adams was set off from Mexico on April 1, 1802 and originally included what is today the towns of Adams and Rodman. Rodman was set off as a separate town on March 24, 1804. No settlement was made here until April 16, 1800 when Nicholas Salisbury and his family, with goods and two hired hands, Solomon Smith and son, arrived in Adams by oxen and sled. Mr. Salisbury settled one mile west of the present village of Adams.

The town of Adams is bordered on the north by the town of Watertown, on the east by the towns of Rodman and Lorraine, on the south by Ellisburg and on the west by Henderson and Hounsfield.

The Dwight Block was built in 1885 on the corner of Main Street and Railroad Street (now W. Church St.) and has been a prominent building site for 120 years. On July 11, 2005 the site will be torn down due to structural problems from neglect for the last 12 years.

The history of the block follows:

On August 28, 1884 most of the west side of Main Street, in the village of Adams, burned to the ground. This included the Cooper House Block which occupied the corner of Main and Railroad Streets. Businessman DeAlton A. Dwight, the owner of the property, hired master builders, William H. Wheeler and David Gaylord, of Adams, to build a new block on the same site. The Dwight Block was a three stroy brick building, measuring 53'x64' and was completed in October 1885. The first floor has three stores with full plate glass windows and a stairway to the upper floors. The first businesses to occupy the building were: Lucy Bullock's Millinery Shop (1885-1913), which had a corner store. The next store to the south was Sewell Barney's Jewelry Store (1885-1902), followed by E.C. Bersie's Grocery Store. On the second floor was J.W. Penny's Insurance Office in the southwest corner, Clara Andrus' Dressmaking Shop, Dr. R.T. Kirkland's Dental Office was in the northeast corner and there were two apartments. On the third floor was the Photo Studio of Adelaide Johnson.

Other businesses to occupy space in the block over the years had been:

Dwight & Eddy Bookstore (1890-1894) Dr. Marquis Manville, DDS (1901-1910), followed by Dr. Harry Tyler, DDS (1910-1934) Dr. Ross A. Clark, DDS (1906-1917) Dr. Harry L. Richmond, DDS (1918-?1920's) William E. Wright's Grocery Store (1907-08), followed by Daniel F. Griggs (1908-1910), followed by Percy Thornton (3/1910-10/1910). The Rock Bottom Grocery Store (1890-1895) Frank J. Garvin's Grocery Store (1907-1914) 'Babcock & Potter' Grocery Store (1897-1903), continued by Henry Babcock (1903-1912). A&P Grocery Store (1928-1929) Frank J. Williams Jewelry Store (1906-1929) Wiliam Scott Jewelry Store (1930-1935) Herbert I. Pierce's Dry Goods Store (1894-1911) Huested Photo Studio (c.1890-1923) Mark Flansburg's General Store (1924-1938), followed by Ring's Department Store (1938-1986), in 1946 Alan & Fred Ring expanded the store to cover the entire first floor of the block. Ring's Department Store was followed by the Blue Merlin Department Store (1986-1989). This was followed by Fassett's Market (1989-1990). The building has been vacant ever since 1993. The ravages of time coupled with no repairs on the roof for over a decade, have caused the building to deteriorate to the point that it was structurally unsound and was a hazard to the public. After 120 years the building had to come down.

Rural Cemetery, Adams

Abiel Carpenter (6/20/1750 - 1840)

John Carpenter (2/2/1739 - 1/12/1805)

Peter Doxtater (12/25/1750 - 12/1/1842)

John Mandeville (10/11/1753 - 4/17/1827)

John Merriman (1/17/1756 - 12/14/1843)

Jabez Moore (dates unk.)

Ammiel Penny (7/18/1743-2/16/1816)

Preserved Redway (7/14/1764 - 4/25/1837)

Edward Salisbury (9/6/1733 - 3/29/1829)

Jacob Weaver (3/7/1760 - 3/9/1852)

Carmi Wright (1853 - 7/3/1833)

Moses Wright (1750 - 7/5/1830)

Westwood Wright (4/20/1757 - 4/9/1826)

Elmwood Cemetery, Adams

Jonathan Lamson (2/20/1755 - 12/6/1807)

Alpheus Dwight (4/7/1870 - 9/7/1845)

Adams is one of the liveliest and most pleasant villages in Northern New York. It has a population of two thousand, and is having a steady healthy growth.

The Main Street Adams

is a beautiful street. It is wide and clean and on either side are a number of large and fine brick blocks. Nearly all branches of trade are represented here.


There are in Adams four dry goods stores, ten grocery stores, three watch and jewelry stores, five shoe stores, one cabinet shop, one book store, two harness shops, one grist mill, two tanneries, one malt house, two wagon shops, three livery stables, two hardware stores, two millinery stores, one barber shop, three clothing stores, two daguerrean galleries, one sash and blind factory, and one large boarding house. Churches. There are four Christian churches here - the Presbyterian, Baptist, Methodist, and Episcopal. There is one public hall - the 'Saunders Hall'.

The Country

There is a very good farming country lying all around Adams village, and it is mostly devoted to dairy purposes. Sandy Creek, which is nearly as large as many streams called rivers, passes through the village. This creek constitutes a fine water power. There are a number of mills and manufacturing institutions on this stream and room and power for many more.

The Hungerford Collegiate Institute

is a very important institution of learning established here. This school was founded in 1864, and was eminently successful until the buildings were destroyed by fire in the winter of 1867, but another building, of magnificent appearance has been erected on a new site, and the school is at present in a prosperous condition. The buildings are not only large and fine, but the site upon which they stand is one of unsurpassed beauty. These buildings are located near the centre of the village, and are on an eminence and surrounded by most pleasant grounds shaded with trees. The liberality and enterprise of the people here in the cause of education is exhibited, in the fact that over $50,000. has been raised by voluntary subscription for building and fitting up this institute. The new building is built of brick, and its size is 129 by 97 feet and four stories high, and from the building you have a fine view of the whole village which surrounds the institute. The building is filled up with all the modern improvements and is heated by steam and lighted with gas. They have a boarding department where the teachers and students all board together. This is an admirable place for parents to send their children to school. It is a healthy quiet locality, free from the vices of city life. There are very good people in this country.

The Faculty

Albert B. Watkins, A.M., Principal, teacher of metaphysics and higher mathematics. Orlo B. Rhodes, A.M., Vice-Principal, teacher of Greek and Latin. R.S. Bosworth, A.M. teacher of natural sciences. Prof. HH. Taylor, teacher of the commercial department and penmanship. Prof. Herm Hayden, instrumental music. Charles D. Larkins, telegraphing. Mrs. H.N. Butterworth, preceptress. Mrs. L.B. Woodward, English Department. Mrs. A.B. Watkins, Spanish and English. Miss E.M. Chatfield, oil painting and drawing. Miss Hannah Bacon, elocution.

Officers of the Institute

General S.D. Hungerford, president; Hon. Wm. A. Gilbert, vice-president; A.W. Ingraham, secretary; Hart Grenell, treasurer.

Rufus P. White's Stables

is one of the most attractive institutions of this village. Mr. White has got the best horse barn in the State, and probably as good a one as can be found anywhere. He has at the present time seventy of the best of horses. His business is the breeding of trotting and running horses. He has nearly every family or breed of horses represented here. Here you find the Rysdeck, Hambitonian, Ethan Allen, Patchen and thoroughbreds, and a number of others the names of which I do not remember. He has one six years old, known as "Buzz," with a record made a year since of 2:28 1/2. He has a horse "Continental" that took the first prize at a late State fair as the best horse "for all purposes," where there were eighty competitors. He exhibited to me as fine a stallion as I ever saw, which he claims is the best in the State, and can trot two miles in five minutes before a wagon. He has "George Clark," one-half thoroughbred, four years old, that can make 2:40 time. He has a colt "Rough," two years old, that can make a quarter mile in forty seconds, besides many other fast horses.

The Barn

is 152x92 feet and built in as fine style as many dwelling houses. The buildings are kept warm by steam pipes in cold weather, and the food for horses is cooked by steam. I noticed that he has ascertained that liberty is best for horses as well as for men. No horse is tied, but each has a large, square stable in which to walk around, stand or lay down, and each stable is ventilated by a large window. These stables are kept cleaner than many bedrooms are, and much better ventilated and the occupants are kept as clean and sleek as are the most fastidious ladies and gentlemen of the human species. There is a fine park in front of the barn known as "Maple Grove," and Mr. White will soon place a fine fountain in the centre of this park. He has a half mile trotting course of his own where his fast horses are exercised daily. This is a very interesting place to visit.

The Jefferson County Journal

If there is anything of which the people of Adams have reason to be proud, it is their village paper. There is but one weekly in Northern New York that has so large a circulation as has the Jefferson County Journal. It is a quarto sheet, gotten up in the best style and edited with rare ability. The paper has a large circulation outside of its own town and county. The Journal is edited and published by Messrs, Hatch & Allen.


There are two here and both so good that I can make no distinction. I can assure any one that at which ever they stop, they will be well cared for.

Business and Businessmen

Mr. J.E. Cook provides groceries and provisions for the good people of Adams who call for them at his large, pleasant grocery store, opposite the Cooper house.

The Hungerford National Bank

is one of the firm and popular moneyed institutions of Northern New York. S.D. Hungerford is president, G.W. Bond, cashier, and R.H. Huntington, teller. It has a paid up capital of $125,000. The principal life and fire insurance office of Adams is located in this bank.

Dr. M.D. Manville is the popular dentist of Adams and vicinity. The doctor has very pleasant rooms on the corner of Main and Church Streets, and has the reputation of being a good workman. I learned he was doing a good business here.

Mr. R.F. Steele is the man who keeps the pleasant watch and jewelry store on the corner of Main and Church Streets. Here he keeps a splendid variety of watches, clocks, jewelry and silverware, and everything in his line of trade. Mr. Steele is a polite, agreeable business man.

Messrs. H.J. & C.M. Brimmer's large store is where all the fashionable young men of Adams and vicinity go to get their "nobby" suits, hats and caps, and anything else they may need in the line of gentlemen's furnishing goods. If they can't get pleased here, there is no use going further.

Messrs. John Waite & Co. announce that they will sell anything in the line of stoves, hardware, tin and copperware, and agricultural implements as cheap as any other store in the country. And judging by the way the farmers all rush for their store when they come to town, I think they mean what they say.

Messrs. Withington & Kneeland are the proprietors of a large and pleasant drug store on Main Street, where they keep everything in the line of that trade. Here is the place to get drugs and medicines, glass, paints and notions, and they have the best soda fountain in the village.

Boot and Shoe Manufacturing Establishment

Mr. N.L. Burdick is the enterprising proprietor of this establishment. Here he employs some ten or a dozen hands, and turns out weekly some $300. worth of boots and shoes. He also does custom work and sells leather and findings. Mr. Burdick is an honorable, straight forward business man, whose word can be trusted.

The Bank of Adams

is a private banking house, of which Messrs. W.A. Gilbert and E.D. Babcock are the proprietors. The bank is centrally located, and these persons are substantial business men, who are doing a very respectable and profitable financial business. It is a sound institution.

Mr. S.P. Armsbury is the photographer here, who has just procured a patent known as "Armsbury's improved back ground," which he claims will make a revolution in picture taking. He can take a picture without taking the background.

Messrs. Bond and Stevens have a large, pleasant store on Main Street, well filled with the best variety of plain and fancy dry goods. The store is a favorite place of resort for the people of the village and vicinity, who are the best judges of goods. This mercantile firm has been established here for over thirty years.

Messrs. Ripley & Sparks are the boys who furnish the good people of Adams with everything in the line of meats. This market can not be beat.

Mr. H.H. Hose is the polite and agreeable gentleman who is taking those fine photographs at his gallery in the centre of the town. He can make you a good picture I can assure you.

Mr. Daniel McDougal has as pleasant a barber shop as can be found in any country village, and better than a great many in our large cities. This is a pleasant place to get shaved.

Mr. G.S. Dodge will never dodge the responsibility he owes his large class of respectable customers in providing them with the best groceries and provisions to be found in the market. He keeps a "tiptop" grocery store, and makes a speciality of fresh and pure teas. He also keeps a large variety of crockery ware constantly on hand.

Dr. S. Buckley, M.D., who for the last fifteen years has maintained the first rank among druggists of Jefferson County is determined to keep up the well established favorable reputation of his store. He has recently taken as a partner, Mr. Frank M. Howard, his son-in-law, from the west, an energetic young man of experience in the drug trade, who is to remain permanently with the Doctor. This young man brings with him high recommendations from the town he left.

The Adams Planing Mill

This is one of the manufacturing establishments of Adams that is doing a good business. Mr. W.H. Wheeler is the proprietor. He does all kinds of planing by machinery, and is also an extensive lumber dealer. Mr. Wheeler is considerable architect. He has the charge of a number of large buildings that have been erected here, and those who know say he will rank in knowledge with many of far more pretentious.

Messrs. Chandler & Lamson are the energetic business men of Adams who have charge of that large, well filled boot and shoe store on Main Street, where you will always see such crowds of people coming in and going out. I suspect the reason is they can get the best of work at "bottom prices." The Adams Carriage Manufacturing Establishment.

Mr. E.T. Littlefield is the man who runs this institution. This is the best institution of the kind in the village, and the one that the leading "horse men" and farmers of the county patronize. You can get the best carriage and wagon here or custom work done in "short notice."

Mr. S.A. Barney is the popular watch and jewelry merchant of Adams. He has the longest experience at the bench of any man in the county. He has the best of goods in his line, and here is where people go to get their watch plated and replated in gold and silver, and their watches, jewelry, spectacles and clocks neatly repaired. He makes the repairing of complicated watches a speciality.

  • On Rome, Watertown & Ogdensburg Railroad, Population 1,250; Telephone, American Express, Watertown - 13 miles.
  • Allen, W.J., Printer & Publisher (Jefferson County Journal)
  • Andrus, C.H., Livery
  • Arms & Hungerford, Dry Goods and Clothes
  • Armsbury, Stiles P., Photographer
  • Barney, S.A., Jeweler
  • Bond, Samuel N., Dry Goods
  • Brown, James O., Groceries & Crockery
  • Brown, James S. & Son, Furniture & Undertakers
  • Bullock, Miss Lucy J., Millinery
  • Carpenter, George L., Painter
  • Chandler & Lamson, Boots & Shoes
  • Cleveland, Artie B., Wholesale Seeds
  • Coit, James E., Groceries
  • Cook, James E., Groceries
  • Dixon, William, Gunsmith
  • Doud, J., Shoemaker
  • Dwight & Eddy, Books, etc.
  • Fish, Lester & Lewis G., Blacksmiths
  • Fox, Henry E., Drugs & Groceries
  • Fox, Miletus H., Carriagemaker
  • Frasier, George, Miller
  • Freeman, J.M., Carriage Factory
  • Gardner, Rufus D., Sewing Machines and Music
  • Gilbert, John H., Clothes
  • Gilman, A.W., Flour, Feed, etc.
  • Gilman, Martin D., Sewing Machines and Music
  • Horth, G.W., Boots & Shoes
  • Hodge, M.L., Harness
  • Horth, Mrs. G.W., 5 Cent Store
  • Huestus, W.D., Blacksmith
  • Hungerford's Bank, Solon D. Hungerford, President
  • Hungerford & Wardwell, Wholesale Seeds
  • Huson, Arthur B., Hotel
  • Ingraham, A.W., Produce
  • Ingraham, Bertram, Drugs, etc.
  • Ingraham & Whitford, Cheese Mfrs.
  • Johnson, Adelaide, Photographer
  • Johnson, William M., Hardware
  • Kellogg, A. & S., Malsters
  • King, William & Son, Hardware
  • Kirkland, R., Dentist
  • Landon, Luftus J., Blacksmith
  • Lewis, John S., Tanner & Currier
  • Lewis Bros., Staves & Cheese Boxes
  • Lockwood & Huson, Livery
  • Lovelee & Kilby, Clothing
  • McNeil, Helen, Millinery & Dressmaking
  • Manville, Marquis D., Dentist
  • Maxon, T.V., Seed Grower
  • Phillips & Marriott, Carriage Makers
  • Pitcher, Seymour H., Grain & Flour
  • Potter, J.H., Boot & Shoe Maker
  • Puffer & Shepard, Bakers & Restaurant
  • Ripley, Loren, Harnessmaker
  • Ripley, Orrin, Butcher
  • Ripley, Rufus & Son, Hats, Caps, Bppts & Shoes
  • Saunders, Thomas P., Foundry
  • Smith, David, Hay
  • Snow, C.W., Billiards
  • Spicer, E.D., Soap & Candle Factory
  • Stone, Cyrus K., Flour & Feed
  • Taylor, D.E., General Store
  • Thompson, Isham, Wagonmaker
  • Thompson & Little, Stoves & Hardware
  • Totman, C.M., Livery
  • VanWormer, Rufus, Blacksmith
  • Wagner, A.F., Groceries & Saloon
  • Waite, W.A., Malster
  • Wardwell, N.M., Malster
  • Weaver, J.F. & Co., Tanners & Curriers
  • Webb, F.C., Furniture
  • Wheeler, W.H., Carpenter & Builder
  • White, D.W., Carriage Painter
  • White, F.P., Tobacco, etc.
  • Williams & Boomer, Jewelers
  • Withington, W.H., Drugs & Groceries
  • York, P.E., Boots & Shoes

Village Presidents - Mayors

From 1852-1928 The chief executive officer of the Village of Adams was the Village President. Beginning in 1929 he was the Mayor.

Village Presidents:

  • 1886 - N. Wardwell
  • 1887 - 1890 - James Cleveland
  • 1891 - William D. Arms
  • 1892 - 1894 - Thomas Saunders
  • 1895 - 1896 - Frank S. Kenyon
  • 1897 - Arthur Huson
  • 1898 - 1899 - Fred Webster
  • 1900 - Daniel Fish
  • 1901 - 1902 - C.W. Williams
  • 1903 - 1904 - George Hannahs
  • 1905 - 1906 - Eli J. Seeber
  • 1907 - Horace H. Norton
  • 1908 - 1909 - Arthur L. Rice
  • 1910 - O.D. Greene
  • 1911 - Willliam J. Allen
  • 1912 - R.A. Clark
  • 1913 - Alfred Goss
  • 1914 - 1917 - Floyd Overton
  • 1918 - 1919 - Frank Redfield
  • 1920 - Fred A. Tice
  • 1921 - Clarence A. Whittier
  • 1922 - B. Williams
  • 1923 - M. Maxwell
  • 1924 - Kent Rice
  • 1925 - 1928 - Clarence A. Whittier

Village Mayors:

  • 1929 - 1930 - Clarence A. Whittier
  • 1931 - 1948 - Wm. O. Walton
  • 1949 - 1952 - Avon E. Greenley
  • 1953 - 1954 - Isadore Belloff
  • 1955 - 1956 - A. Clark
  • 1957 - 1968 - G. Elliott
  • 1969 - 1980 - Roy Simpson
  • 1981 - 1985 - Stanton Hamilton
  • 1986 - 1992 - Charles Peck
  • 1993 - 1996 - Gary Sweet
  • 1997 - 2008 - Dugal Peck
  • 2008 - 2012 - Patricia Sweetland

Graduates of Hungerford (Adams) Collegiate Institute 1870 - 1899

Revolutionary War Veterans buried in Adams Center

Truman Arms (dates unknown)

Samuel Gould (dates unknown)

Asa Mason (1750 - 3/18/1842)

Isaac Rogers (1759 - 1/27/1846)

Adonis Trowbridge (dates unknown)

George Williamson (dates unknown)

(from the Jefferson County Business Directory of 1866-67)

  • Blacksmiths - Alfred Hodges; Lewis & Son (Clark & George B. Lewis)
  • Boot & Shoe Stores - Joel Dewey; Heath & Wilcox (James Heath & Henry N. Wilcox)
  • Brass Band - Manford Dewey, leader
  • Butter & Produce - Peter W. Dyer; Jedediah Freeman
  • Carpenters - Silas Chamberlain; O. DeGrasse Greene; Pardon Babcock; Charles M. Heath; Truman Grommon
  • Carriage Makers - Sullivan & Carpenter (George D. Sullivan & George D. Carpenter)
  • Clergymen - Benjamin Garfield, Baptist; George E. Tomlinson, 7th Day Baptist; Charles O. Taylor, 2nf Advent; James M. Beman, Baptist (Honeyville)
  • Constables - Edward W. Green; Edward Hensey
  • Coopers - James Hammond
  • Druggists - Correl D. Potter
  • Express Agent - Daniel Fox, 2nd
  • General Merchants - Parker, Hammond & Wilder (Franklin Parker, Willard D. Hammond, Franklin A. Wilder)
  • Groceries - ME Dealing & Bro. (Martin E. & Foster M. Dealing); Benjamin F. Lee
  • Harnessmaker - Asa W. Graves
  • Hotels - Railroad House, Andrew J. Green; Hall's Hotel, Wm. Owens
  • Justice of the Peace - George Hall
  • Lawyers - Alphonso E. Cooley
  • Millinery - Lucy L. Bullock; Frances Green
  • Photographer - Heath & Hall (Albert Heath & Galen Hall)
  • Physicians - Edward Bleecker; David Fawdrey; Albert W. Wilder
  • Postmaster - Correl D. Potter
  • Public Hall - Union Hall
  • Railroad Agent - Daniel Fox 2nd
  • Surveyors - O. DeGrasse Greene
  • Telegraph Operator - Frank W. Stone
  • Town Clerk - Alphonso E. Cooley

District School - the first schoolhouse in Adams Center was a small plank building erected at the forks in the road in 1823. This was used until 1829 when a stone building was erected. This was used until 1857 when a new building was built. In 1876 another building was erected. On 1/6/1876 a union graded school was formed. A two story schoolhouse was built in 1897 and the school offered a two year high school course, and the school was registered as the Adams Center Union Free School. In August 1899 the Honeyville and Greene Settlement Districts contracted with Adams Center and sent their high school students there. In 1907 the school was advanced to a junior school with a three year course. In 1914 they became a senior school with a four year course and became the Adams Center High School.

Centralized School - The organization of a centralized school district began in the fall of 1925 and on December 22, 1925 the Central Rural School District No. 1 of the Towns of Adams and Rodman was officially formed. The district was formed by the consolidation of 8 district schools in the town of Adams (#1 Adams Center, #3 North Adams, #4 Kellogg Hill, #6 Maxson, #7 Honeyville, #8 Ball district, #9 Lyons Corners & #10 Greene Settlement), and 2 district school in the town of Rodman (#1 Toad Hollow & #6 Dillin.

In the winter of 1926 a site was selected on Maple Avenue for a new school building. Local architect, O.D. Greene, Jr. drew up the plans for the school and the contractor was A.M. Sanford. Construct began in August 1926. Cost $128,000. The building was located 200' from the street. The front of the building was 116' wide and the extreme depth was 116'. The Gymnasium wing was one story and the main building was two stories high with a 10' high basement. The building was dedicated on November 29, 1927. The school was soon overcrowded and an addition was built by O.D. Greene, Jr. in 1931. In 9/1927 two more districts centralized with Adams Center - they were Sand Street and Rodman village. By 1938 the district had outgrown the building. At that time the district was comprised of 17 school districts and received high school students from 8 more. A two story addition housing 9 more classrooms was built. Elementary schools were maintained at 3 districts (Rodman village, Rices and Dunn). In 1953 another addition was added with 12 more classrooms. On July 1, 1962 the Adams High School was annexed to Adams Center and the district became the Adams Center-Adams Central School. On June 30, 1968 the Mannsville-Manor Central School merged with Adams Center-Adams Central School and on July 1, 1968 the district officially became the South Jefferson Central School.

Patrick Cemetery, Town of Adams (also known as Patrick - Dewey - McKee Cemetery) Patrick Cemetery is located on Patrick Road, and lies half in the town of Adams and half in the town of Rodman. It is maintained by the Town of Adams.

Known Burials are:

  • Allingham, Willie E. - 6/12/1869-7/14/1869, son of William
  • Daynes, Polly - 1788-1811, wife of Asel Daynes
  • Dewey, Barzillai - 10/31/1751-1841, Revolutionary War Vet.
  • Gockins, Mercy - 1800-8/23/1829, wife of E.F. Gockins
  • Jacobs, Celestine - b. & d.c. 1820, infant da. of Hiram & Susan (Walsworth) Jacobs
  • Jacobs, Hiram - 7/3/1782-4/11/1844, married Susan Walsworth
  • Lawrence, Betsey - d. 1/1/1829 42y, wife of Lyman Lawrence
  • Lawrence, E. Annette - d. 11/18/1843, da. of Milo & Mary Lawrence
  • Lawrence, Ira - d. 6/1/1815 36y8m
  • Lawrence, Lyman - d. 4/11/1844 62y
  • McKee, Alexander - 1799-1/7/1844, son of Appleton
  • McKee, Alice - d. 3/16/1850 2y7m27d, da. of Levi McKee
  • McKee, Appleton - 12/19/1760-5/10/1832, son of Robert, War of 1812 veteran
  • McKee, Caroline - d. 8/30/1833 3y6m11, da. of Alexander
  • McKee, Celestine A. (Greenley) - 1826-8/8/1851, wife of Chester McKee Jr.
  • McKee, Charilla - 1831 - 9/12/1832, da. of Alvin
  • McKee, Delia A. - d. 7/27/1837 2y1m, da. of Chester
  • McKee, Elisha - d. 8/19/1839 5y2m, son of Alvin
  • McKee, Julia Ann - d. 8/24/1826 6m14d, da. of Alexander
  • McKee, Lewis E. - 3/30/1813-10/14/1839, s. of Chester
  • McKee, Lucy A. - 4/10/1833-2/18/1834, da. of Chester
  • McKee, Martin V. - 1833-1/15/1877
  • McKee, Mary A. - d. 2/2/1853 20y2m, wife of Martin McKee
  • McKee, Mary Ann - d. 1/22/1827 13d, da. of Alexander
  • McKee, Mercy (Hill) - 7/20/1766-10/5/1822, wife of Appleton McKee
  • McKee, William H. Harrison - d. 11/4/1865 24y3m24d, son of Alvin
  • Morse, Alpheus, M.D. - d. 9/18/1828 55y, Rev. War Vet
  • Patterson, William - d. 8/11/1860 40y1m
  • Ross, Elizabeth - d. 3/31/1860 91y, wife of Laban Ross
  • Ross, Elizabeth - d. 8/16/1846 1y1m, da. of George & Fannie Ross
  • Ross, Laban - 1765-3/31/1843, Rev. War Vet.
  • Sheldon, Mary - 1847-6/15/1849, da. of Tuly & Minerva Sheldon
  • Sheldon, Minerva - d. 5/25/1857 45y, wife of Tuly Sheldon
  • Thompson, Charlotte (Lisk) - d. 5/20/1869 69y11m24d, wife of John Thompson, da. of Bradford Lisk
  • Thompson, Cyrus N. - d. 5/26/1817 18y7m26d
  • Thompson, Duane - d. 9/22/1861 18y11m22d, son of Isom Thompson
  • Thompson, Eunice (Washburn) - 1779-10/1/1840, wife of Piam Thompson
  • Thompson, John M. - 1/16/1804-10/18/1869, son of Piam
  • Thompson, Lucy (Hardy) - 5/13/1768-c. 1832, wife of Zebulon Thompson, da. of Barzilla Hardy
  • Thompson, Malinda - d. 5/15/1870 57y, da. of Piam
  • Thompson, Oscar - d. 11/28/1844 1y6m, son of Josephus
  • Thompson, Piam - 1781-6/25/1868, War of 1812 Vet.
  • Thompson, Samuel Elithorp - 1799-2/28/1864, son of Zebulon, War of 1812 Vet.
  • Thompson, Zebulon - 10/25/1763-3/8/1832, Rev. War Vet.
  • Walsworth, Abigail (Smith) - 4/10/1785-10/17/1861, wife of Elijah Walsworth, da. of David Smith
  • Walsworth, Andrew Patrick - 8/1/1819-2/27/1854, son of Elijah
  • Walsworth, Celestia (Daynes) - 1808-6/30/1851, wife of Eldridge Walsworth, da. of Asel Daynes
  • Walsworth, Celestine - 8/13/1848-11/29/1848, da. of Patrick
  • Walsworth, Celestine - d. 8/9/1879 1y8m, da. of Nellis
  • Walsworth, Celestine (Hubbard) - 1827-9/26/1848, wife of Patrick Walsworth
  • Walsworth, David Smith - 3/23/1824-2/6/1857, son of Elijah
  • Walsworth, Edwin J. - 7/11/1826-5/1/1850, son of Elijah
  • Walsworth, Eldridge - 4/1/1800-1/19/1875, son of Zacheus
  • Walsworth, Elijah Jr. - 3/30/1788-4/30/1855, son of Elijah
  • Walsworth, Elizabeth (Fox) - d. 1805, wife of Zacheus Walsworth
  • Walsworth, Levi Benjamin - 8/13/1808-9/8/1845, son of Zacheus
  • Walsworth, Phebe (Washburn) - 12/7/1776-8/24/1863, married (1) Thompson (2) Zacheus Walsworth
  • Walsworth, Socrates - 12/2/1811-9/25/1855, married Abby Crumb, son of Zacheus
  • Walsworth, Zacheus - 9/3/1771-7/15/1825, son of Nathan

The Rice Companies

Capt. Collings Develops Truss

Capt. William A. Collings was born in 1814 in Saltwood Parish, England. His father died when William was just 3 years old. At the age of 14 William began the life of a sailor in England. He advanced from seaman to mate and then to Captain. He came to America about 1850 and began sailing the Great Lakes. He retired from sailing in 1874 after having been afflicted with a severe rupture (hernia) for 13 years, and he set about experimenting with a cure. In the fall of 1876 he compounded a medicine (Collings Medical Compound) and developed an Improved Elastic Supporter Truss. He applied the compound and truss and in January 1877 he found that he was cured. Keep in mind that there was no surgery available at this time for hernias. Capt. Collings soon began the Collings Truss Co. in a small shop in a shed at his home in Smithville. An article in the 10/11/1887 issue of the Jefferson County Journal describes his truss as follows: his truss consists of one strong rubber elastic web-band that passes around the body and attaches by convenient fastenings to the ventilated supporter front piece, which forms a perfect support to the abdomen at all times. Under this the pads are fastened, which vary in size and shape according to the rupture or ruptures size, weight and occupation of the wearer. A soft webbing understrap passes from each pad and attaches to the band in the back. These give additional pressure to the pads and maintain the truss in the same position at all times and in all positions of the body. If there is only one rupture a small, thin and soft pad is placed over abdominal ring on opposite side; this prevents the second rupture, which is sure to appear if no support is worn. He also makes a medical compound to be used in connection with the truss. There are two kinds. One is to soften and prepare the skin so the other may penetrate. It is a purely vegetable compound, ad when applied externally over the seat of rupture, by an action peculiar to itself, contracts and produces a cohensive inflammation in the rings, and at the same time exerts a tonic influence upon the muscular and tendinous tissues forming the rings and adjacent parts, while the truss retains the rupture perfectly and comfortably in place during the process of cure. It stops all pain and distressed spells, the bad feeling in the stomach ad the severe pain in the back will cease.

In 1882 William Seward Rice went to work for Capt. Collings. He was instructed in all aspects of the business. Capt. Collings died 1/9/1886 in Smithville and at the age of 18 years William S. Rice purchased the company from Mrs. Collings. He had saved $60. from his earnings and borrowed a small sum from his father to complete the purchase.

W.S. Rice Co. is Established

William Rice conducted the Collings company for a short time, but later in 1886 he established the W.S. Rice Company in Smithville. He ran the business in the same building that the Collings Co. was in. He soon found that many of his customers were anxious to buy the trusses of Capt. Collings, so he re-established the Captain W.A. Collings Company in Watertown as a subsidiary of the W.S. Rice Co. From 1886 until 1898 Mr. Rice conducted his manufacture of trusses and other appliances in Smithville. At first he employed less than 6 men and he himself worked long hours. In the late 1880’s and 1890’s the mail order business was becoming popular. At this time Mr. Rice had a virtual monopoly on the truss and abdominal support business and he was a great believer in advertising. He advertised in weekly and daily papers in all parts of the country. Gradually the firm grew and in 1898 he decided to move to Adams, a more populous village with a railroad. Mr. Rice purchased a house on North Main Street in Adams which became his residence. He established his factory two houses up the hill on North Main Street from his home. He changed the house into a small two story factory.

JCJ 7/26/1898 - Removed to Adams - Dr. Rice’s Truss Factory of Smithville.

It is with pleasure that we announce that Dr. W.S. Rice’s extensive truss factory of Smithville, will move to Adams about Sept. 1st. The York property on North Main Street is being thoroughly repaired and refitted for the truss business. Negotiations have been pending for some time looking toward the removal of Dr. Rice’s interests to some more centrally located point. Several towns were considered, but the banking, post office and express facilities of Adams won the day. Commencing in a small way when quite young the doctor has by his energy, perseverance and hard work built up an extensive business. He gives it his personal attention and has made the treatment of rupture a careful study for years. Every truss is made to order insuring a perfect fit. Each piece of material is carefully inspected before hand, so that nothing enters into the construction of a truss that is not the best.

On 1/8/1894 Dr. Rice applied for a patent on a truss improved from that of Capt. Collings. The truss was patented (# 523-844) on 7/31/1894. On 4/17/1903 Dr. Rice applied for a patent on his improvements on the hernial truss. The truss was patented (#741,929) on 10/20/1903. Other patents included: Lymphol (medicine for rupture) 11/1/1897, Medicated Pads on 3/1/1906. Lymphol, when applied to the rupture area made it feel warm. It helped to circulate blood to the area of the rupture. It sold for $2.00 a bottle. With time the ingredients became expensive and eventually had to be taken off the market.

On 5/19/1900 an attempt was made to burn down the factory on North Main Street. The 5/22/1900 issue of the Journal gives the following account of the incident: A cowardly attempt was made Sunday night to burn Dr. W.S. Rice’s Truss Factory on North Main Street and to murder the night watchman, Frank Thomas. About 12 o’clock as Mr. Thomas, who had just completed his round of inspection was sitting by a table in the rear of one of the front offices of the old building, reading a newspaper, he heard the report of a rifle or revolver and felt the twinge of a bullet through the lower part of the palm of his left hand. The shot was fired from the front lawn, the ball passing through a window, lodging in the window casing near where he was sitting. Running to the front door Mr. Thomas peered into the darkness but could see no one. Firing his revolver into the air he started for the residence of Edward Babcock, an employee of the factory who lives near by. Returning he discovered that the factory was on fire in the rear. Seizing a fire extinguisher, with which the factory is well supplied, he turned it on the fire and with the assistance of Dr. W.K. Walrath, who had arrived on the scene, the flames were extinguished. The fire was set by placing a lot of paper or other flammable material in a box and after setting fire to it placing it by the side of the building. The clapboards were blackened to the eaves, and in a few moments more the building would have been well on fire and possibly burned with all its valuable contents. The next morning the blood from Mr. Thomas’s hand could be seen freely sprinkled about the premises, and gave evidence of his faithfulness and courage in doing what he could to preserve the building and its contents.

The company was incorporated under the name of Dr. W.S. Rice in 12/1900. The incorporators were Dr. W.S. Rice, Henry G. Hubbard, Demas W. Young, Alberto B. Rice, Parley H. Johnson, all of Adams, and Harry Mather of Chicago. The corporation had $20,000 capital stock, 4,000 shares at $5. a share. Dr. Rice held 2,000 shares of the stock and each of the other directors four each.

In 1903 Mr. Rice purchased the old grade school on Wardwell Street and renovated it and built an addition on the south side of the former school building. In the 3/10/1903 issue of the Journal the following notice appeared:

Enlargement of Dr. Rice’s Factory

Owing to the large increase of his already extensive business, Dr. W.S. Rice finds it necessary to enlarge his truss factory to nearly three times its present working capacity. A.F. Lansing, the architect, says the new building will be on the lines of the most modern factories, with windows forming the largest part of the area of the exterior surface. The building is arranged in six-foot bays, of typical factory construction. The size of the new addition is 70x82 feet. The building will have a basement and two stories above. The basement will be used for the doctor’s many presses and for the large storage of paper. The first floor is arranged for the factory employees. A portion of the south side of the building is reserved for a fine suite for the doctor’s private offices. The balance of this side of the new building will be reserved for the large corps of stenographers.

The second floor plant consists if a large room, 82x26 feet, entirely devoted to the corresponding department. There are two fitting rooms at the head of the stairs, and the north side of the building will be devoted to the laboratory and the large medicinal department. Each floor is equipped with two lavatories.

There is to be an elevator at one end of the building. The plant is to be equipped with the most modern plumbing, heating and ventilating obtainable. The exterior will present a classical appearance, with pilastered corners and a parapet wall around the roof of the building, which will be of frame and stone construction. The plant is to be completed the coming summer. There will be a large and handsome front entrance and a reception hall for the doctors clients.

In June 1905 the Capt. W.A. Collings Co. of Watertown was incorporated with a capital stock of $125,000., to manufacture and deal in trusses and patent medicines. The directors were: W.S. Rice, Ransom H. Snyder and Dewey H. Hurd, all of Adams. In 1909 the Collings Co. had to move to larger quarters in Watertown (Stone Street) due to the increase in business. The company moved again in 1951 to (State Street). The Collings Company was moved to Adams in 1959.

In 1912 the Rice Company was chartered by the secretary of state, to make and sell drugs, surgical appliances, etc. The capital stock was placed at $110,000. Consisting of shares of $100. Each, and the directors were: William S. Rice, Gertrude A. Rice and Arthur L. Rice.

W.S. Rice Plant Destroyed by Fire

On 6/24/1920 the Rice factory on Wardwell Street burned to the ground. The 6/30/1920 issue of the journal relates the details: Thursday night about 10:30 o’clock the W.S. Rice Rupture Cure plant was discovered to be on fire by Earl Bettinger, who was returning to his home on Park Street. He ran to J.J. Chapman’s home nearby, and with Mr. Chapman, Will Underwood and his nephew, Albert Hunt, who lives next door, they gave the alarm and breaking into the factory and attempted to use the fire extinguishers and hose, but which failed to work. By this time the place was full of smoke and several explosions added to the intense heat. The men found themselves shut in the cellar as the door had closed behind them; at last, however, Chapman made his way out and calling to the others was able to get them to safety. None were burned seriously with the exception of Albert Hunt, whose face, arms, shoulders and chest were painfully burned, but fortunately is recovering satisfactorily.

Very soon the fire companies were busy and the whole village gathered, aroused by the ringing of bells and the creamery whistle. Many willing hands were ready to assist in saving the building which burned so rapidly that in less than an hour the entire plant with its valuable equipment was a mass of ruins. Nothing was saved from the building but a few records and lists belonging to the A.L. Rice paint business which had offices in a part of the building. On the following day, however, the heavy safes which had withstood the intense heat were opened and much of real value in currency and documents were found, which assisted greatly in getting the business started again.

The building being of wood with its light inflammable materials and with a large quantity of paper in stock made excelent fuel for the hottest fire that one could imagine. By the most strenuous efforts of the firemen adjacent residences of Mrs. Buell, Bernie Bartlett, Oleda Cole and Anson Zufelt were saved from destruction, while roofs of barns and houses on the nearby streets were often flooded with water to prevent a blaze. Fortunately no wind was blowing or the entire section would have been burned.

The fireproof building recently built by Dr. Rice to house his records and valuable documents pertaining to the business, located just east of the burned building, was saved which proved a most fortunate investment and enables Dr. Rice to proceed at once with his business.

Before morning dawned Dr. Rice and his brother, A.L. Rice, were making plans by which they could continue the large working force of over 200 people. The high School building nearby was leased for the summer and by 10 o’clock Friday morning every seat had been removed in the study and recitation rooms, and carpenters and electricians were busy making offices ready for typewriters which had been ordered, and by night men and women were busy looking over the heavy mails and endeavoring to proceed as usual.

A.L. Rice and family changed the interior of their handsome residence into offices and workshops, and a large force was soon busy sorting papers, and clerks and stenographers were soon at work. The loss is fully $200,000., on which there is an insurance of $125,000.

Offers of assistance immediately came to the Rices from all quarters in order that business might be resumed with as little delay as possible. All printing presses and typewriters in town were offered to the Rice brothers, which have proved helpful in keeping the large force at work.

Construction began on a new building on July 17. The new building was to be 156x60 feet, two stories with basement, and surrounded the brick vault which survived the fire. The contractor was Charles Haley of Watertown. The high school building, which was being used for offices had to be vacated by Sept. 1st. By August 4th the forms had been removed from the concrete foundations and bricklayers and carpenters are on the job. A stucco warehouse building 84x40, three stories was commenced August 1 and completed August 26. They moved out of the school on August 26 and into the new warehouse as temporary quarters.

Rice’s New Factory Opened

On November 26, 1920 the new Rice Factory was opened for the public to see. The 12/1/1920 issue of the journal gives the follow account:

The building as completed presented a brilliant appearance Wednesday evening, being lighted from basement to roof. A lighting system of the most modern type installed by Geeson Bros. of this village, made the entire plant as light as day. On the upper floor, the guests were shown the various products of the company. This floor will be used as the manufacturing department. In the basement is located the printing department, one of the most complete private plants in the country.

The first floor contains approximately 10,000 square feet of floor space. Work on the new building commenced July 17, roofed October 20, opened November 24—five months from day of fire. The new building classed as "slow burning construction," and is 60x154 feet, two stories and basement, with ceilings 12 feet, and in addition, an absolutely fireproof vault 32x44 feet and three stories high. Etire floor space is 40,000 square feet.

Used in the building—275,000 bricks; 1,000 barrels of cement; 21,000 feet of hardwood flooring; 2,600 panes of glass; 10,000 feet of piping in heating plant; two and one-half tons of nails. 63,000 feet of rough lumber used in making concrete forms and flooring; over one-fourth mile of beams 20 feet by 12x12 inches; 345 joists 14 feet by 4x12 inches. All woodwork painted with fireproof paint. Built by day labor under our own supervision. Entire building cost approximately $100,000. Two 50 h.p. Kewanee boilers used in heating plant with blower system for even distribution of heat to afford proper ventilation. All electric light wires concealed by conduit system, 2,500 feet of conduit being used. Transformer room in fireproof vault outside building. Brasco Indirect Lighting System, using twenty 400 watts lamps and ten 200 watt lamps in main building with individual drop lights in vault and basement. Graves electric elevator, 2,500 lbs. carrying capacity, to all floors and equipped with automatic check and fire doors. Telephone switchboard affords communication throughout the building. Fireproof vault in main office for books and records. Fireproof vault in basement for cuts, plates, etc. Walls are 20 inches thick, of concrete in basement and two upper stories 12 inch brick extra pilaster for supporting timbers. Concrete floor in basement six inches thick. Ventilation is gained by four 30 inch ventilators on roof connected with 30 inch square flue. Automatic sprinkler system for fire protection fed by six-inch direct water main—post valve gate at curb side.

Manufacturing department equipment with labor saving devices and up-to-date equipment of various natures; 28 singer Sewing Machines equipped with individual motors. The laboratory where all proprietary remedies are manufactured is under charge of a qualified chemist.

The western branch is located at St. Louis, Mo. The Canadian office is at Niagara Falls, Ont. The Rice advertisements appear in 1,500 papers annually. The Rice literature is printed in 15 different languages. In manufacturing, 900 yards of webbing is used daily; 2,000 sides of leather; 312,000 buckles and 6,000 500-yard spools of thread are used annually. From 300 to 500 trusses are shipped daily.

Death of William Seward Rice

The 4/7/1937 issue of the Journal reported the death of William S. Rice:

In the death of William Seward Rice last Saturday Adams met with a loss of an outstanding personality, a man who has been loyal to the best interests of the village, generous in his support of civic activities and sympathetic and kindly in his relations with all with whom he came in contact.

Just what the history of Adams would have been if Mr. Rice had not moved his business to Adams forty years ago, we do not know, but we do know that it has meant a livelihood to a large portion of our population, either directly or indirectly; it meant the raising of the postoffice to first class at the time of its greatest activity, when the A.L. Rice paint factory was also doing a large mail order business, and the increasing of our postoffice force.

During the depression, when it was necessary to curtail expenditures, Mr. Rice showed his loyalty to his employees of many years by dividing the work as far as possible so that none would be without some means of support.

At the time of the World War Mr. Rice served on the Draft Board and was very active in the sale of Liberty bonds. In fact, he was always ready to help in time of any community need.

The beautiful home of Mr. And Mrs. Rice in Adams has always been a most hospitable place, open at all times to their many friends, where a cordial welcome always awaited them.

He was a man of big vision and had the courage to risk his all in carrying out those dreams. That he made such a success of his business is a tribute to his keenness as a business man and to the courage which fortified his imagination.

William S. Rice’s son, Charles Kent Rice, ran the company after his father’s death in 1937 until his own death in 1953 at the age of 58 years. During World War 2 the companies expansion to foreign countries was cut down, but in 1953 the company employed 80 people. C. Kent Rice was succeeded as president of the company by his son, William Kent Rice.


In December 1962 the W.S. Rice Co. acquired the Compo Seal Company from its parent company, Stanford Rubber Supply Co. The firm made truss pads from vegetable compound and latex for nearly all truss manufacturers in the United States and Canada. The manufacture of these pads was moved to Adams. The 12/26/1962 issue of the Journal reported the following regarding the manufacture of these truss pads: Each truss manufacturing firm generally requires different sizes and shapes for pads used in their particular product. In all, the Rice company will have about 500 different wooden pad molds filed according to company name. When an order is received the particular mold is brought out and used as a master copy being pressed in large trays of cornstarch. The resulting print is then used to receive the vegetable oil compound which when mixed with an acid cooks it to the proper degree of hardness. The amount of acid used determines the degree of resiliency ordered by a company for their pads. Order range from 100 pads to 2,000. One was received recently for 6,900. Not all orders for pads however, come from the usual sources. An order was received recently from a music supply house for 5,000 soft pads for use as violin chin rests.

Not only will the new pad business add to the overall Rice company income, but being primarily a truss manufacturer, in addition to numerous other surgical garments, the concern will be one of its own best customers. Heretofore the Adams manufacturer, now employing 43 persons, purchased its pads from the company it recently acquired. William K. Rice is company president, Mrs. C. Kent Rice is vice-president and secretary and Mrs. M.L. Bellmore is treasurer.

Also in December 1962 the Soft-Ease Company rented the top floor of the Rice building. The company was established in Watertown in January 1960 with Roger L. Hyde, president; William K. Rice, vice president; Robert Diefendorf, Treasurer and George C. Hyde, treasurer. The company employed 4 people and manufactured a vinyl film hospital bed draw sheet with an insert of soft, cushiony polyether padding. They also made crib and bassinet mattresses for hospitals.

By 1966, due to labor saving devices and other reasons, the Rice Co. only employed about 35 people. They began to manufacture, in addition to the trusses and pads, golf cart covers, sea anchors, lure bags, and swimming pool covers. Also in 1966 the Crescent Corset Company of Cortland opened a branch manufacturing operation in Adams and rented the top floor of the Rice building. The company manufactured girdles, which were sold almost entirely through the J.C. Penney Co. When production began in May 1966 the company employed 22. The starting wage for the sewing machine operators was $50. per week. The crescent Corset Company closed in 1973.

In 1974 the Lally Manufacturing Co. began leasing the top two floors of the Rice building and the Rice Company operations were moved to the basement. In September 1974 the building was sold to the Lally Company and the Rice Company leased the basement.

In 1983 the Rice Company moved from the large brick building on the east side of Wardwell Street to the former Adams Bowling club building on the west side of Wardwell Street. The company continued to make latex pads, trusses, bed wedges. At this time they had 13 employees. The W.S. Rice Company closed on June 28, 1991.

A.L. Rice Co.

The W.S. Rice Co. was not the only business the Rice family was involved in here in Adams. In 1898 Arthur Leffingwell Rice, brother of William S. Rice, discovered the use of a new type of cement binder for water colors. He received a patent in 1900 for Powdrpaint water colors which he called ‘paint without oil’. He established the A.L. Rice Company. Powdrpaint was a dry powder, which mixed with cold water, made a paint. It was advertised as weatherproof, fireproof, sunproof and sanitary. Powdrpaint water colors could be used in combination with other ingredients for various painting purposes: he added turpentine to the paint formula to cover grease spots on floors and walls, raw or boiled linseed oil was added for painting in rainy climates, kerosene was added for painting iron work, a little varnish was added to make a thin glaze finish, castor oil & turpentine were added to make a window shade or roll-scenery paint, and to keep walls germ free and washable (such as in schools and hospitals) formaldehyde added to wash water hardened to powdrpaint colors and killed germs. The powdrpaint sold for 90 cents for 5 lb. carton; $4.37 for 25 lb. box; $8.50 for 50 lb. box; $16.50 for 100 lb. keg and $54.25 for 350 lb. barrel.

The company was incorporated as A.L. Rice, Inc. in January 1906 for the sale of oil and water paints, walls coatings, general merchandise and mail orders. The capital stock was $25,000. and the directors were: Arthur L. Rice, William S. Rice, and R.H. Snyder.

Twice the Powdrpaint warehouse burned down, first on 11/4/1901 and again on 4/8/1907. The 4/9/1907 issue of the journal gives the following account of the fire:

Powder Paint Warehouse Burned.

At 6:30 o’clock yesterday morning flames were discovered in the warehouse used by A.L. Rice in the powder paint business, situated on the former J.M. Cleveland place on Prospect Street. There was a high wind, but fortunately it was blowing from the southwest and drove the flames away from the near by residences. As the building was filled with such combustible material as paint and oil, the fire spread very rapidly, and with the water supply at a low pressure, it was impossible to save the building, which burned to the ground. The warehouse contained about 800 gallons of paint besides a large quantity of powder paint, and the estimated loss is $3,000. With an insurance of $1,700. The origin of the fire is a complete mystery, as no one, so far as known, had been in the building since Saturday night, and the flames broke out before the employees arrived Monday morning.

The following week the company was using a barn on Wardwell Street for its warehouse and in June 1907 the warehouse was moved to the old Waite malthouse on Spring Street. By 1914 the warehouse and shipping department was located on Railroad Street (W. Church St.) and the office was in the W.S. Rice building on Wardwell Street and there were branches in Chicago and New York City. He employed from 12 to 20 people. In April 1920 Mr. Rice built an addition 30x72 feet that was connected with the building on Railroad Street, located below the depot.

Mr. Rice also developed and maketed ‘Disinfecto’ - a germ killing disinfectant, cleansing and healing agent. Brochures from the company advertised several uses for Disinfecto, such as:

For cuts, sores, bruises, sprains, mosquito bites and bee stings - use 1 teaspoonful diluted with 1 pint of water and bathe the affected part frequently. In the Bath - to cleanse the pores of the skin, also relieves perspiration - use 1 tablespoon in an ordinary bath. For scrubbing Floors, woodwork, slate and tile - use 1 tablespoon in a pail of water. For washing stationary laundry tubs - use 2 tablespoons to a pail of water. For garbage cans, prevents odors and rids them of flies - use 1 tablespoon to 3 pints of water. As an insecticide to get rid of roaches, bed bugs, ants - wash the infected places occasionally with 1 tablespoon to a pint of water. In the Stable to prevent foul odors and germs spray the floors and walls with a solution of 4 tablespoons to a pail of water. For washing and cleaning horses and cattle - use 2 tablespoons to a pail of water. In the hen house - spray roosts and walls weekly and the floor occasionally after cleaning, to kill foul odors and to ride the place of fleas and lice - use 2 tablespoons to a gallon of water. As a Sheep Dip - use 1 gallon to not more than 70 gallons of water. The cost of ‘Disinfecto’ - 1 quart - 40 cents; 1/2 gallon - 80 cents; 1 gallon can - $1.30; 5 gallon can - $6. and 50 gallon barrel - $55.

Arthur Rice died suddenly on 10/11/1920 in Washington, DC while on a business trip. He was 59 years old. The company was run by Karl W. Rice from 1920 to 12/1/1934 when he sold it to Herbert E. Woodward. The company failed to secure a major promoter and succumbed to the competition.

Salina Chemical Co.

DEW, one of the first Water Softeners on the market, was invented in 1924 by ADams native, Karl B. Norton. He was a chemist at the Solvay Process Co. His idea for the water softener was a combination of a by-product crystal at the Solvay plant. He became partner with Charles E. Brownell and began making ‘DEW’ in Syracuse. Two years later they brought the packaging department to Adams. The crystal water-softener was shipped i large wooden barrels by train and delivered to a building on West Church Street near the Snyder Machinery business. The company also produced and marketed ‘Sparkle’ - used for cleaning bar and fountain glasses, silverware and dishes; ‘Bonderma’ - a foot powder; and ‘HTH-15’ - a water purifier. After a time the products were packaged in the Brownell garage on East Church Street. When Mr. Brownell died in 1934 the company passed to Mr. & Mrs. Karl Rice (Mrs. Rice was a daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Brownell). Mr. Rice devised a contraption to fill the DEW containers. DEW was taken upstairs in the barn, and via a chute, came downstairs at the pull of a lever, to fill each box with the right amount. The company failed to secure a major promoter and about 1947 it succumbed to competition from Proctor & Gamble, Colgate and others.

The following men purchased land in the town of Adams in 1799:

Elihu Phillips, Nicholas Salisbury, Enon Salisbury, D'Estaing Salisbury, Alexander Salisbury, Stephen Shippey, Solomon Smith, David Smith, Daniel Comstock, Abram Ripley, Jonathan Cable, Eliphalet Edmonds, Alexander Dewey, George Cooper, Jehoida Page, Solomon Truman, John W. Smith, Francis McKee, Robert Myrick, Squire Read, Daniel Fox, Zaccheus Walsworth.

In 1800 land was sold to:

Josiah Godfrey, Jenks Seaman, Simeon Forbes, Ebenezer Lazell, David Grommons, Stephen Grommons, Isaac Baker, Samuel Fox, George Houseman, Peter Doxtater, Paul Stickney, Elias Avery, James McCumber, Russell Smith, Ebenezer Brown, Amos Claflin, Joshua Comstock, Matthew Wilkie, Consider Law.

Land Purchases 1801-1804:

1801 - Abijah Miller, John Freeman, Josiah Godfrey, Daniel Talcott, Hezekiah Tiffany, Joseph Cook, Phineas Rose, Robert Robbins, Solomon Robbins, Asher Robbins, Simeon Meacham, Timothy Pond, Barnabas Wellman, William Thomas, Abel Hart, Henry Walrod, Chauncey Mills and Roswell Mills.

1802 - Nathan Loveland, Cornelius Hinds, Sylvanus Daggart, Abel Loveland, Roswell Taylor, Roswell Coe, John richards, David Higgens, Aaron Farr, John Toll, John Scott, James Streeter, John Kudder and Joseph Landon.

1803 - Truman Bunce, Theodore Bunce, John Jones, John Wentworth, Sylvanus Barney, James Randolph, D.G.M. Gaylord, James Henderson, Thomas James, Absalom Price and David Gardner.

1804 - John Taylor, Eliphalet Adams, Abel Myrick, Darius Markham, John Dickinson, John Weaver and Aaron Webster.